Sunday, January 20, 2013

I've Been Inspired....Again!

I realize I've been neglect in writing & posting this blog. I had been inspired by my friend Julie Farrar with her most excellent writing skills but after just a few posts of my own, my life seemed dull so I've neglected this thing entirely.


Now, my own sister-in-law, Michelle, has started a blog and has been diligent in her postings. After reading her entries for the past few days, I've decided I need to come here and post again! My life is still pretty mundane on a day to day basis, but I will try to find something in it that might actually interest someone!


Since I started this blog, I have taken up the hobby of photography. I actually got started back in 2006 when I attended my first Keith Urban concert. I had borrowed a camera from a co-worker for that concert and then didn't even know how to use it during the show. My friend Kathy Evans actually ended up taking the few pictures we got at that show in Waco, Tx. I knew that if I was going to attend more Keith Urban shows, I was going to have to get my own decent camera and I ended up with a Sony Cybershot with a 10X zoom.


Fast forward to 2013 and I've taken thousands of photos of Keith Urban at the multitude of his shows I've attended since 2006. I've actually lost count of how many I've been too. In my quest to take better photos of him, I just developed a love of photography and have advanced more than I ever dreamed! I bought my first DSLR camera in Sept. 2011, a Sony Alpha 55. I met my fellow photographer friend, Marie Frost, just a few weeks before and we've been burning up the roads looking for photo ops every since.


I've taken a couple of photography classes locally and have joined two local camera clubs. Since getting my Sony DSLR, I've entered my photos in the Friends of Black Bayou annual photo contest in 2011 and 2012. I was amazed to have placed two first place entries in the amateur division in 2011 and in 2012, I actually won the top "Best of Show" in the professional division. I still can't believe that I won this year due to the stiff competition and it being my first year as a "professional". I've had my photos shown with our Bayou Pixel Shooters Camera Club showing at the Snyder Museum in Bastrop and this past November, I entered several in the Art With A View fundraiser at the Premier Plaza. One of my photos actually won 2nd place in the juried competition.


I can't believe how far I've come in just a little over a year of actually trying to take good photos. I know that I have so much more to learn, I'm not even close to knowing what I need to. It's just going to be a constant learning experience for me but it has been a great one so far. I've met so many new wonderful friends and fellow photographers during this journey and I've truly been blessed with my new found "talent". My only regret is that I didn't get the "camera bug" earlier when my boys were little. I so would have loved to had really good photos of them growing up instead of my cheap, pitiful 35mm camera photos. When I look at them now, I wish I had taken better pictures!


So, what will 2013 hold in store for me and my photography? I really haven't got a clue but I do know that I want to dabble in "people" photography and not consentrate entirely on nature & landscapes. There is so much to learn and I sincerely hope that I can live up to the challenge!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment